For some use cases customers want EVERY uploaded video to get published automatically. Here's what you need to know about this configuration and your audience's experience with it.
Oftentimes - especially for internal video-sharing portals - our customers want every video uploaded to a specific studio to be published to a pre-defined location. This essentially skips any review & approval steps, but can keep content fresh and flowing smoothly while you scale up how you communicate with video among internal audiences.
Here's what you need to know before choosing the auto-publish configuration for your studio:
- The embed code for a video published to the auto-publish destination/player will always follow the format according to the destination/player type:
https://embed.ustudio.com/embed/(Destination UID)/(Video UID) or https://authorized-embed.ustudio.com/embed/(Destination UID)/(Video UID)
- For a short time after you upload a video, while the platform is inspecting the video, anyone accessing the embed code will see a 404 error (there are ways via the API to detect when a video is fully published in order to avoid driving traffic to an "under-construction" player - see the developer docs for more info).
- Once inspected, the embed code will show:
- If inspection failed - a 404 error (for instance, if someone uploaded a non-video file) or
- If inspection passed - a "video still processing" message
- Once at least 1 (typically lower quality) transcode has been fully processed, the embed code will be playable. Higher transcode qualities have more data and will take longer to complete.
- You can always either manually or programmatically un-publish videos that have been auto-published to a destination.
- When you turn on auto-publish for a studio, it's not retroactive - any videos that were already in the studio before it was configured to auto-publish will not be automatically published to any destinations.
Sound good? To put this into effect, you can either:
- Request this configuration from the uStudio support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) by specifying your studio's name (or better yet, unique ID), as well as the player/destination where all videos should be auto-published, OR
- You can configure this behavior via our Studio APIs (see https://developer.ustudio.com/destination_api.html#autopublishing-videos for guidance)