Get the look, feel, and functionality you want with uStudio's Playground video player builder.
What can uStudio's Playground Player Builder do for your video content?
It can help you customize the playback experience to the specific needs of your audience and your business. It can help you take audiences from passive to participatory. It puts the power in your fingertips.
Figure 1. Combining a front-end module (like the email gateway module) with a back-end module (like a marketing automation integration) allows subscriber data to be captured right where it's actionable for marketers.
Playground lets you pick player add-ons for "stacking" inside a video player. On the back-end, these add-ons include themes and modules that your web development team can templatize with code.
Figure 2. Conceptual diagram showing how player modules can be combined to meet the needs of audiences, publishers, IT, and analysts.
Now that you've got an idea of what the Playground Player Builder can do, here's a handy overview of the types of themes and modules available as player add-ons now. Just keep in mind that uStudio is constantly building new ones, so if you don't see what you need, just ask!
Sample Playground Module List
Bold type = on by default; gray type = available upon request (contact email@example.com)
Look and Feel Module [All Customer Types]
- What it does: Sets colors & several other basic design options for applicable themes
- Notes: The built-in Minimal Theme was designed to reflect any look&feel selections configured in this module
Security [All Customer Types]
- What it does: Locks embed playback to whitelisted domain/geo/ip
- Notes: See Knowledge Article on this topic for guidance on setting domains, specifying geographic regions, and IP locking
Annotations [All Customer Types]
- What it does: Lets video viewers submit time-stamped comments or questions within the player
- Notes: Requires integration with a named-user system - an intranet, call center portal, etc. - that can store user account information, timestamps, X/Y coordinates, and commentary
Adobe App Measurement (Omniture Analytics) [Customers with Adobe Analytics]
- What it does: Passes video statistics and player events to specified Omniture account
- Notes: requires account with Adobe Analytics, formerly known as Omniture
Call-to-Action [All Customer Types]
- What it does: Prompts viewer to click a button with a custom label to link to a custom URL
- Notes: Simply provide a link relevant to the video content being published in this player
- What it does: Java applet overlay tricks out the player with custom graphics upon email subscription
- Notes: This is a sample that works well in combination with Email Gateway, “celebrating” an email sign-up
Chapters [Customers with Long-Form Video Content]
- What it does: Gives video viewers the chance to skip to sections of the video of most relevance to them
- Notes: Requires publisher to input chapter timestamps and titles
DoubleClick Ads [Customers Monetizing Video]
- What it does: Enables those with DFP accounts to pull in pre-roll, mid-roll, and/or post-roll ads within their videos
- Notes: Requires Google ad network - Doubleclick for Publishers - account
Email Gateway [Marketers]
- What it does: Prompts viewer for email address (& optional name) to subscribe inside a player
- Notes: CAUTION - don’t field this module without a back-end email/marketing automation module like Eloqua, Hubspot, or Marketo - or else the player will gather email addresses and then have nowhere to store them!
Facebook Wrapper [Marketers]
- What it does: Overlays uStudio player on top of a Facebook player embed
- Notes: Cuts bandwidth streaming costs by leveraging free Facebook streaming service, yet supports a custom player look and feel while capturing analytics directly (not just through Facebook).
Google Analytics [Marketers]
- What it does: Passes video statistics and player events to specified Google Analytics account
- Notes: Requires Google Analytics account, of course.
- What it does: Passes email subscription data captured in a video player over to the Hubspot marketing database
- Notes: Requires account with Hubspot marketing automation product
Intercom - Acquire [Marketers AND Customer Service]
- What it does: Enables bi-directional chat through Intercom platform, right within the video player
- Notes: Requires Intercom chat product account
- What it does: Passes email subscription data captured in a video player over to the Marketo marketing database
- Notes: Requires account with Marketo marketing automation product
- What it does: Passes email subscription data captured in a video player over to the Pardot marketing database
- Notes: Requires account with Pardot marketing automation product
Slack - Webhook [Marketers]
- What it does: Notifies a slack channel when a viewer subscribes within the video player
- Notes: Requires authentication into Slack product channel
SSO [Internal Communications]
- What it does: Requires authentication with an Identity Management System before playback begins
- Notes: Requires integration with a SAML-based ID management system, like Google or Okta
Subtitles [All Customers]
- What it does: Allows viewer to select the subtitle language of their choice (from WebVTT files provided)
- Notes: Requires publisher to provide WebVTT files as metadata on each video, in audience languages
Twitter Feed [Marketers]
- What it does: Overlay shows video publisher’s twitter stream - illustrating resonance with broad audience
- Notes: Requires authorization credentials for brand’s Twitter handle
YouTube Wrapper [Marketers]
- What it does: Overlays uStudio player on top of a YouTube player embed
- Notes: Cuts bandwidth streaming costs by leveraging free YouTube streaming service, yet supports a custom player look and feel while capturing analytics directly (not just through YouTube).