Several factors determine upload speed; here's how to tell if the speeds you are seeing are to be expected.
How long it takes to upload any given video file depends on a combination of factors, including:
- Video file size
- uStudio customers typically upload files between ~1MB and 4 GB. In the same conditions, a file of the latter size could take >1000x longer than the former, so when evaluating an upload, take note of how large the file is.
- Your internet connection speed
- Most uStudio customers have corporate internet plans with guaranteed upload speeds at their office locations, but speeds can vary greatly from office to office and over time. If you are experiencing upload slowness, it can be helpful to run a standard internet speed test (uStudio recommends Google's internet speed test or speedtest.net) and note the results at a couple of different times of day.
- uStudio always recommends uploading video files over wired connections if possible, so that's what we would recommend running the speed test with, as well.
- Note, too, that internet connections can experience "congestion" when many people are trying to upload data at the same time. It's helpful to note the date and time when you experience a problem, so that log files can be inspected later to determine if you were experiencing "rush hour" type internet traffic.
- Your physical address
- The physical distance from your office or field location (wherever you start your upload) to your local uStudio ingest point can also impact upload speeds. Take note of this address as well if you experience slowness.
If the upload speeds you are experiencing aren't working for your business, please contact uStudio support (support@uStudio.com) and share with us:
- Your contact information
- The organization and studio you're working in
- The video file size you're trying to upload
- Your internet connection speed test results (as above)
- Your connection method (wifi vs. wired or cellular)
- The date/time of your attempted upload, and
- Your physical location
We'll get back to you right away to resolve the issue.