In the Administration section of the PMC if you have purchased user analytics as part of your subscription you will have access Dashboards. At the bottom of the Dashboard we have given you access to the Raw User Activity Data. This a detailed list of all actions taken within your podcast application. Below is the best way to format and read this detailed data.
Formatting Your User Activity Report:
The User Activity Report comes as a CSV file and there are a few quick tips you can do to help you find your information a little faster.
- Open the file in excel and save as a .xlsx file.
- By default, the file is sorted by timestamp. If you want to sort your file in a different way here are a few suggestions:
- Sort your file by events to see all the downloads, logins, etc grouped together
- Sort your file by show to see how a particular show is doing
- Add filters to the file and use these to filter down to certain shows, episodes, or actions.
- Filter your event type by progress and then filter out all percentages except for major milestones like 10% increments or 20% increments to see where your user base is focusing their time.
Reading Your User Activity Report:
The User Activity Report breaks out user activity on the application on an action by action basis. This means one user will have multiple rows of data for each action they took. There will be details around each of these actions in the columns listed in the row.
Columns and Values:
- TIMESTAMP: This column displays the particular time an action was taken by a user in your platform. These timestamps are shown in the UTC time zone with the year-month-dayThour.min.seconds format. The T in the middle is used to break up the calendar date from the time.
- EVENT_TYPE: This column displays which action was taken by a user. Below is a list of values you will see in this column and their definitions.
- login: A user has logged into the app
- download: A user downloads an episode to their device
- impression: A user hits the episode page. They may not take an action but have gone to the page.
- play: A user hits the play button
- progress: This shows what part of an episode a user has listened to. Progress indicates which segments of a podcast have already been listened to by a user and is stored on a percentage basis as opposed to a timestamp. For instance, if a user has played from 0:00 to 0:30 of a 1:00 video, the progress data will increment a counter for all percentages from 0% - 50%.
- Note: A particular user may not necessarily show all the percentages for a particular episode. For instance, if a user seeked to the 30 second point in a 1 minute episode and listened to the end you would see the percentages starting at 50% for that user since they started 50% of the way in the episode.
- SUBSCRIBE: A user hits the subscribe/unsubscribe button for a particular show. For this event, subscribes will have a "1" value in the IS_ACTIVE column while unsubscribes will have no value.
- USER_ID: The unique ID for each user sent from the authentication process. If using auth0 you will see the uStudio ID for that user. If you are using an SSO you will see the ID passed from the SSO.
- SHOW_ID: This column will only show a value if the action was taken on a certain show. The displays the unique ID of a show. There will be a mapping tab in the file to give you which ID is associated with which show title.
- EPISODE_ID: This column will only show a value if the action was taken on a certain episode. The displays the unique ID of an episode. There will be a mapping tab in the file to give you which ID is associated to which episode title.
- PROGRESS: The part of the podcast the user consumed. (See player.progress under EVENT_TYPE for more detail)
- IS_ACTIVE: This column will only show a value if the action was a subscription. It will be True when someone subscribes and False when they unsubscribe.