Groups are a unique feature to uStudio Enterprise Podcast and are a great way to segment your audience - whether you’d like to reach a particular department, location, seniority and more with your podcast content. Your podcast shows can be restricted to certain audience groups so that only members in the group can consume the content. Not every show is appropriate or relevant for your entire workforce, groups allow you to create podcasts that are only meant for certain segments within your enterprise.
End users will have no concept about what groups they have been placed in, as only the shows they are allowed to see will be available. This allows more flexibility for administrators to create groups for podcasting without having to worry about confusing the end user.
To learn how to create and manage groups in a studio where single sign-on (SSO) is disabled, click here.
Creating SSO Groups
1. Click on the “Administration” section on the bottom left of your Podcast Management Console (PMC). Then select the “Groups” section.
2. Click the plus button on the top right. If you have not started creating groups, a “create group” button will be available in which you can click as well.
3. Add a name for your new group under “Display Name.” We recommend naming it in a way that your content team will be able to recognize and understand as they restrict podcast show content. This name will not be shown to the listener and will only be viewable to those that have access to the PMC.
4. Under “Company SSO Group Name” enter a group name or id associated with your identity provider (iDP) that is managed by your IT department. For example, if you have a group called Sales in Okta, then your outgoing group name will be called Sales. This group name value is only available if your single sign-on has been configured to support groups with outgoing attribute groupName. Please contact your IT department or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance and refer to our SAML guide.
Note: If you leave “Company SSO Group Name” blank then it’s considered a non-SSO group, where you can add or remove users as described in this guide. The only exception is that you cannot assign users to this group by invitation because this feature is disabled when SSO is enabled.
5. Fill in the “Description” to help your internal admin team understand who may fall into this group and what the group is meant to do.
6. Click “Create Group” to complete the creation of the group.
Managing Users in SSO Groups
You can only add users through the identity provider (iDP) that is managed by your IT department.
You can only remove users through the identity provider (iDP) that is managed by your IT department.
Restricting Podcast Shows to Groups
Shows can be restricted to certain audience groups so only audience members in the group can see that content. You can restrict groups while setting up or editing a show. Groups need to be created before you can restrict a show to that group.
- Select “Shows” in the Podcast section of the PMC.
- Select a show and click the pencil icon to edit the show attributes.
- Select “Private (Selected Groups Only)” under ”Control Access to this Show."
- Type in the name of an existing group and select the name once it appears. You can assign a show to as many groups as desired.
- Click “Save.”
Use Case: Podcast Review Group
We recommend that you create a Show called Podcast Review, which is restricted to a group called Review Team, where there are content creators and administrators to review podcasts before official releases. This setup will act as your staging ground. Here, you’ll be able to experiment with podcasts and experience them like any other audience member.
- Click the “Administration” section within the PMC.
- Select “Groups” from the left navigation bar.
- Click on the group name you would like to delete.
- Click the "edit details" button.
- Click the “delete group” link under the description.
6. Click “confirm” to delete the group.
Note: The processing time of group deletion will vary depending on the number of users you have in the group. Feel free to leave the pop-up window after this point. Otherwise, once the group deletion is successful the upload pop-up will close automatically. There will be a confirmation of the deletion in the bottom right corner.