As corporate podcasting is growing in popularity, many uStudio customers have a large number of Shows which causes the mobile and Web applications to become unwieldy. Categories solve this issue by allowing like podcast Shows to be organized together. In the mobile and desktop applications, Categories present similar podcast Shows together to the user. In the Podcast Management Console (PMC), podcast administrators can create and manage the order of Categories in the end user applications. Each Show may then optionally be added to one or more categories.
Not only does this give podcast administrators a new system for promoting and organizing content differently, whether that is by popularity, location, topic or more, it gives the end user a more effective way to discover and find shows.
If configured, here are some examples of how Categories will look in your Podcast Mobile and Web applications:
How to Create Categories
1. Click on the “Administration” section on the bottom left of your Podcast Management Console (PMC). Then select the “Categories” section.
2. Click on the plus button on the top right.
3. Add a name for your new Category and click "create category."
4. You can adjust the order of your categories if you'd like them to show up in a particular order for your end user. Click on the grid icon next to the Category you'd like to move and drag it up or down in the list to re-order the Category. You can change this order at any time.
Assign a Category to a Podcast Show
1. You can assign a category to a podcast show when setting up or editing a show. If the podcast show you'd like to add to a category already exists, click inside the show and click the edit icon in the top right.
2. Use the drop down under Categories (Optional) to assign a category to the show. Note you can add a show to multiple categories.
3. Then click save.
4. Your show will then be visible under your new podcast category.
Setting a Default Category to be Opened in Browse
When an audience member first logs into the desktop app, they will be greeted with the Browse page so they can immediately find the content they want to play. By default, the Browse page will open to the "All" category, which is a system default that displays all the shows in uStudio that the audience member has permission to access.
If you would like to create a tailored experience for your audience, you can set the primary Browse page to be a specific category. When your company's account is configured to open a default category, the first category in the ordered list will be opened upon initial login to the desktop app or whenever an audience member clicks Browse.
To leverage this tailored Browse experience, please contact email@example.com.
1. What will the audience see if there are no shows attached to a category?
A category will not be visible to your end users if there are no shows in that category. If a user does not have permission to view any shows in a particular category, the category will not be displayed.
2. Can a show be part of multiple categories?
Yes, a show can be added to multiple categories.
3. How will shows that are not added to a category be displayed for my audience?
If you have at least one active category, any show that is not part of a category will be put under a default "More Shows" category for your end user on the mobile app. In the desktop app, the show will appear in "All" category on the Browse page.